Aunt Tia’s Coconut Johnny Cake
The origins of johnny cake dates to the 18th century. Fishermen and sailors made this bread on the decks of their vessels by constructing a fireplace in a field that was stuffed with sand to maintain the flames from spreading to the craft. It was initially referred to as journey cake as a result of it was fast to make and sustainable whereas travelling. Style a bit of historical past with my aunt’s legendary recipe.
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, cubed
1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen grated coconut, thawed
2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola or vegetable oil
1 cup (250 mL) entire milk
1/4 cup (60 mL) whipping (or heavy) cream (35%)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) sq. baking dish with butter.
- In a big bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar salt and blend.
- Add butter and, utilizing your hand, mix with flour by breaking apart into smaller items. Add coconut, oil, and blend.
- Slowly pour in milk whereas mixing along with your different hand to kind dough right into a ball (the dough ought to be delicate and straightforward to deal with). Mud a clear floor with flour and knead dough a couple of occasions.
- Place dough within the baking dish, unfold out and stage along with your arms. Pour cream over and bake, about 45 minutes till the highest is golden or a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clear.
Turkey Pot Pie with Johnny Cake Crust
I take pleasure in consolation meals immensely, and this delectable pot pie is the right dish to rework that Thanksgiving left over turkey, whereas remaining moist and succulent. It’s sealed in an 18th Century cake-like bread and it’s a gastronomical delight!
1 recipe Coconut Johnny Cake Dough
1 Tbsp (15 mL) diced recent
1 Tbsp (15 mL) diced recent basil
2 tsp (10 mL) diced recent chives
1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
Pot Pie Filling
2 cups (500 mL) turkey (darkish or chicken), cubed or shredded
3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
2/3 cup (160 mL) all-purpose flour
½ onion, minimize into 1-inch (2.5 cm) items
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 celery stalks, minimize into 1/2-inch (1 cm) items
4 cups (1 L) entire milk
1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
2 1/2 cups (625 mL) rooster inventory
1 massive Caribbean candy potato, diced
2 massive carrots, sliced 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick on the diagonal
2 ears corn, kernels eliminated
1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
2 tsp (10 mL) recent thyme leaves
2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
Juice of ½ lemon
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to style
1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping (or heavy)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Put aside a 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish.
- Roll dough out ½ inch (1 cm) thick to suit contained in the baking dish, leaving a 1/2-inch (1 cm) house on the fringe of the pan (dough will unfold whereas baking). Put aside on parchment paper.
- Combine herb toppings with cornstarch and put aside.
- In an 8-quart (8 L) pot, warmth oil and butter over medium warmth. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, celery and prepare dinner for 3 minutes extra till flour is bubbly.
- Add milk whereas persevering with to stir. Add wine and inventory and convey to a boil. Add potato, carrots, corn, scale back warmth to simmer and prepare dinner for 10-Quarter-hour or till potatoes are tender.
- Add turkey (with any left-over drippings or aspic), add peas, thyme, oregano, nutmeg and regulate seasoning with salt and pepper. Take away from warmth, skim off any fats on the floor.
- Ladle or fastidiously pour the turkey chowder into the baking dish (reserve any leftover soup for plating), leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) house at high for the crust.
- Raise parchment paper with the dough, place it over soup (if dough splits, it would come collectively whereas baking). Sprinkle herb combination over high, pour heat cream over the herbed dough.
- Switch the dish to the oven and bake till crust is golden and performed for about 25-Half-hour. Serve without delay in particular person bowls, ensuring to spoon the extra soup across the golden johnny cake crust.